A Woman On The Verge

thoughts and musings of my mind


Do it yourself

DIY Headboard, or The Crafty Me

I  was a little bored this afternoon so I started surfing the internet looking for ideas on how to create a new headboard, the one I have used for my bed is a Queen and I have a full-sized bed so it was a bit too big.  I found some great ideas, using old frames and then attaching them to the wall, securing a giant piece of plywood to the wall, and how to make a padded headboard that you can secure to the wall.  I didn’t really want to secure anything to the wall, I would either have to leave it if I ever sell this house or have giant holes in the wall.  Plus I have a habit of rearranging my bedroom about once a year and holes on the walls would be awful.  I did see one which suggested propping up a giant piece of plywood, I liked the idea of propping something up, but I didn’t want to go buy a piece of wood.  I remembered I had an old room divider, which one of the cats had shredded all the fabric from it. I kept it because I wanted to re apply the fabric someday. It hit me, I could drape fabric over the divider and use that as a headboard.  I had 2 yards of blue velvet upholstery fabric from a recent trip to the fabric store, it had cost me $5.00 or so.  First I measured to make sure that the divider would fit as a headboard. Second, I wrapped the fabric around the divider, then I fixed it with some tape to keep it from moving around.  Third, I tacked it to the divider with some small nails. Then I stood it up behind my bed and it looks great!


Don’t Scrape that bump!

A few years ago I was painting my living room and this is the adventure I had with one wall.

I was getting ready to clean the walls and dust yesterday in preparation for painting when I noticed that the wall by the back door was kind of bubbly, so I got out the scraper and scraped. There was wall paper underneath and I am pretty sure the glue from the layer above had aged to the point where it wasn’t sticking.  So I scraped, and scraped, and scraped until the wall was kind of clear of paint and wall paper.  I may regret scrapping off all the wallpaper and not owning a sander because now the wall looks horrible.  The NEPHEW had also replaced the drywall where the breaker box is, and when he demoed that wall he basically took off part of the corner of the door wall, instead of replacing that too he just put in a lot of spackle in heavy layers – he really liked thick thick layers of goo and he wasn’t good about sanding it down.  Maybe I will find some fun wall paper to put on that wall, which is probably going to be the ONLY way to make it look less crappy.  Oh well just my first venture into basic demo work really.  And now I am ignoring ALL the spots on the walls where the rest of the old wall paper is peeling, I am just painting over it.  So my lesson is Don’t scrape the bumps!

Create a free website or blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: