I was a little bored this afternoon so I started surfing the internet looking for ideas on how to create a new headboard, the one I have used for my bed is a Queen and I have a full-sized bed so it was a bit too big. I found some great ideas, using old frames and then attaching them to the wall, securing a giant piece of plywood to the wall, and how to make a padded headboard that you can secure to the wall. I didn’t really want to secure anything to the wall, I would either have to leave it if I ever sell this house or have giant holes in the wall. Plus I have a habit of rearranging my bedroom about once a year and holes on the walls would be awful. I did see one which suggested propping up a giant piece of plywood, I liked the idea of propping something up, but I didn’t want to go buy a piece of wood. I remembered I had an old room divider, which one of the cats had shredded all the fabric from it. I kept it because I wanted to re apply the fabric someday. It hit me, I could drape fabric over the divider and use that as a headboard. I had 2 yards of blue velvet upholstery fabric from a recent trip to the fabric store, it had cost me $5.00 or so. First I measured to make sure that the divider would fit as a headboard. Second, I wrapped the fabric around the divider, then I fixed it with some tape to keep it from moving around. Third, I tacked it to the divider with some small nails. Then I stood it up behind my bed and it looks great!
Did you know if you google the word Kindness that there are easily several hundred pages of links to sites related to being kind, random acts of kindness, discussing the power of kindness, and even about a dozen searches related to kindness: like songs with kindness in the lyrics.
The dictionary defines kindness as:
kind·ness [kahynd-nis] noun
1.the state or quality of being kind: kindness to animals.
2.a kind act; favor: his many kindnesses to me.
4.friendly feeling; liking.
1250–1300; Middle English kindenes.
1, 3. benignity, benevolence, humanity, generosity, charity,sympathy, compassion, tenderness. 2. good turn.
But nothing brings home what kindness really means to people until you hear stories from friends or see stories on TV.
For instance, Yesterday one of my friends from New York posted on Facebook about and event that occurred when she was commuting on the Q Train. Anna and her boyfriend were on the train and encountered a man who seemed to be asleep, but it had been a while so Matt, her boyfriend, went to check on the man only to find out he had passed away. Matt let the folks on the system know so that they could handle the situation. I know when she shared this with us all our hearts went out to the family. Thank goodness Matt had enough kindness and courage to check on the man.
Then today another friend shared this video about a San Diego police officer who died not more than five minutes after paying it forward with a young man in McDonalds, such a sobering story.
It is stories like this which make me pause and think about those around me in town who are having a harder time in life than I am. Encounters like this also make me want to step out of my comfort zone a bit and pay it forward to someone who needs something. Yes, it takes courage to step out and do something different, but I have heard that once you get used to acts of kindness like this, it isn’t so scary.
What do you do to take care of yourself? Do you go for walks, get a massage or something else unique to yourself?
This is a list of things I am trying to work into my life
- Create positive affirmations
- Walk 30 minutes a day
- Yoga or Pilates once a day
- Build my Upper body Strength
I have also assembled a note book full of articles, journaling and other items as I find them to help motivate me this year.
Stole this from Jo at In Which We Start A New
- Do you sleep with your closet doors open or closed? Closed, otherwise Whisky will climb in there and try to get up on the shelf to play with the string that turns on the light.
- Do you take the shampoos and conditioner bottles from hotel? I used to, but not anymore because I never use the stuff I take.
- Do you sleep with your sheets tucked in or out? The bottom is always tucked in, but the sides are not.
- Have you ever stolen a street sign before? No, I could have just gotten one from the street sign dept at my former employer.
- Do you like to use post-it notes? Yep I love post it notes and have a huge stash of them.
- Do you cut out coupons but then never use them? Sadly, yes. I try to use them and I am pretty selective about what I cut out, but there is always more to throw away than I end up using.
- Would you rather be attacked by a big bear or a swarm of a bees? Bear, I am allergic to bees.
- Do you have freckles? Yes, but not on my face
- Do you always smile for pictures? I try, but if I smile too much you can’t see my eyes.
- What is your biggest pet peeve? foolish people
- Do you ever count your steps when you walk? No, because I would probably trip and fall or forget where I was going.
- Have you ever peed in the woods? I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and went camping in the remote mountain areas, so yes.
- What about pooped in the woods? See the above question.
- Do you ever dance even if there’s no music playing? No not really
- Do you chew your pens and pencils? Yes, I have an oral fixation and isn’t that what they are for?
- How many people have you slept with this week? None
- What size is your bed? Full
- What is your Song of the week? Born This Way
- Is it okay for guys to wear pink? It really isn’t my place to pass judgment on this fashion choice.
- Do you still watch cartoons? Yes
- What’s your least favorite movie? Talledega Nights, two hours of my life i still want back
- Where would you bury hidden treasure if you had some? in my closet
- What do you drink with dinner? Usually just water
- What do you dip a chicken nugget in? Sweet and Sour
- What is your favorite food? pizza
- What movies could you watch over and over and still love? Strictly Ballroom, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice and Sweet Home Alabama
- Last person you kissed/kissed you? some guy at a restaurant who is a friend of a friend, he thinks he is European.
- Were you ever a boy/girl scout? Yes, I was a brownie and hawked girl scout cookies, actually A LOT of cookies.
- Would you ever strip or pose nude in a magazine? Erm, no
- When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone on paper? Tuesday, I had to write a letter for my uncle to give to the police stating that I never got my Christmas present.
- Can you change the oil on a car? Not my new car.
- Ever gotten a speeding ticket? Oh, three or four in 28 years, but the last one I got was 16 years ago.
- Ever ran out of gas? Twice, once in college and again recently with my new car because I was not entirely sure if it was empty since the gas gauge is broken.
- Favorite kind of sandwich? Really? I love Peanut Butter and Jelly but I can’t eat it anymore, I love a great turkey sandwich with brie and cranberry sauce on rustic Italian bread.
- Best thing to eat for breakfast? Oatmeal
- What is your usual bedtime? Right now around midnight, when I am working full-time then around 11pm.
- Are you lazy? I am more of a procrastinator than a lazy person.
- When you were a kid, what did you dress up as for Halloween? Laura Ingalls, although no one would ever know because we had to wear heavy coats and hats over our costumes because it was so cold.
- What is your Chinese astrological sign? Horse
- How many languages can you speak? 3, English, Some French and Spanish – often in the same sentence, and American Sign Language although it is very very rusty
- Do you have any magazine subscriptions? A few, National Geographic Traveler, American Spirit, Harper’s Bazaar and Self.
- Which are better legos or lincoln logs? Legos
- Are you stubborn? Some say I am stubborn, I think I am just persistent
- Who is better…Leno or Letterman? Johnny Carson
- Ever watch soap operas? General Hospital
- Are you afraid of heights? Kind of, in a building I am good, but climbing ladders is not something I enjoy although I have been known to rock climb and that doesn’t bother me.
- Do you sing in the car? Are there people who do not do this?
- Do you sing in the shower? No, I am busy thinking, it is where I do my best ruminating
- Do you dance in the car? NO! Someone might see me
- Ever used a gun? No.
- Last time you got a portrait taken by a photographer? a while back
- Do you think musicals are cheesy? Heavens no, they are awesome
- Is Christmas stressful? no, but I rarely let something like that stress me out
- Ever eat a pirogi? not that I recall
- Favorite type of fruit pie? Key Lime Pie
- Occupations you wanted to be when you were a kid? Veterinarian, Dancer
- Do you believe in ghosts? Yes
- Ever have a Deja-vu feeling?Yes
- Take a vitamin daily? No, they upset my stomach
- Wear slippers? Yes, but only because i have hardwood floors and my feet get cold even with my fluffy socks
- Wear a bath robe? Not really, the one I have now is not absorbent and the sleeves are too bunchy
- What do you wear to bed? T-Shirt and shorts
- First concert? um I can’t remember, there was Bumbershoot just after college, my favorite concert was Keith Urban for my 40th birthday, oh wait there was the Edgar Meyer who plays an awesome double bass, and also Joshua Bell who is just so awesome with his Violin
- Wal-Mart, Target or Kmart? TARGET
- Nike or Adidas?Adidas and Mizuno
- Cheetos Or Fritos? Cheetos, the crispy kind, not the puffy ones
- Peanuts or Sunflower seeds? Sunflower sees
- Ever hear of the group Tres Bien? Who??
- Ever take dance lessons? Ballet and Tap when I was younger and Salsa a few years ago.
- Is there a profession you picture your future spouse doing? At my age, Retired Land Developer or Gentleman Farmer sound good
- Can you curl your tongue? Yep
- Ever won a spelling bee? No, spelling publicly in a competition environment always freaked me out.
- Have you ever cried because you were so happy? Probably
- Own any record albums? No, my brother stole them all.
- Own a record player? Nope.
- Regularly burn incense? Incense no, candles regularly
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Who would you like to see in concert? Lady Antebellum, Sting, U2, Death Cab for Cutie, Sephira, and a few others i can’t think of
- What was the last concert you saw? Celtic Thunder, sad I haven’t even been out to see a live show at the pub since that show.
- Hot tea or cold tea? both
- Tea or coffee? Coffee always, but I like to drink tea too
- Sugar or snicker-doodles? snicker-doodles.
- Can you swim well? Define well, I have swum since I was three, but I am not a huge fan of swimming.
- Can you hold your breath without holding your nose? Yes
- Are you patient? Not even close.
- DJ or band, at a wedding? my wedding will be a dj, but what others pick is fine with me as long as they don’t suck
- Ever won a contest? I won a contest in Seattle to find the upside down bus ad, and I got a gift certificate to The Container Store
- Ever have plastic surgery? No, but I haven’t needed anything adjusted yet.
- Which are better black or green olives? mmmmmmmm Olives…….I prefer Green Olives, but I am an equal opportunity olive eater.
- Can you knit or crochet? I CAN crochet, but i get bored easily so I have never finished a project.
- Best room for a fireplace? My living room
- Do you want to get married? Soon (The Irish one)
- If married, how long have you been married? not married
- Who was your HS crush? a boy, who he was shall remain a secret to protect the innocent (me).
- Do you cry and throw a fit until you get your own way? No, I just stand there looking stubborn.
- Do you have kids? nope
- Do you want kids? nope
- Whats your favorite color? shades of green
- Do you miss anyone right now? I do.